Generic Job Description Incumbent
To be read in conjunction with the generic job description of Archdeacon, Area Dean and Bishop.
Purpose: To support the Bishop as Chief Shepherd, Pastor and Minister of the Diocese, a visible sign serving the Church’s unity and continuity in apostolic life, mission and ministry.
Responsible: In collaboration and full co-operation with the local church in the diocese and parish for:
- Buildings and property
Principal tasks & duties (in collaboration and co-operation with others)
Preaching and teaching
- To preach the Word
- To administer the Sacraments
- To lead people in praise and thanksgiving to God through the reverent, regular, careful and inspiring ordering of worship
- To lead people in mission and evangelism.
- To teach the Faith
- To bring new members into the Church by Baptism including the appropriate preparation of candidates, parents and godparents
- To prepare and present candidates for confirmation.
- To prepare people for holy matrimony and officiate at the service.
- To minister to the sick and dying
- To officiate at funerals
- To minister to the bereaved
- To offer a pastoral ministry to all people within the parish
- To share Christian service with others
- To minister to all who are in need of support and spiritual counsel
- To proclaim the righteousness, mercy and forgiveness of God to those who are troubled in spirit
- To seek those who have strayed
- To liberate and nurture God’s people for the good of all and the glory of God.
- To encourage and enable the PCC to consider and define a mission policy for the church, taking into account:
- The call of God
- The needs of the local community
- The needs of the parish, diocese and province
- The needs of the wider church
- The needs of the congregation
- The promotion of Christian Stewardship in all its aspects
- To comply with the law of the land and church regulations in relation to the following:
- Marriages and deaths
- Child protection
- Financial accountability
- Health and Safety
- To share in an effective, competent and courteous administration of the parish
- To consult and co-operate with churchwardens and the PCC in matters of concern and importance in the parish
- To maintain the necessary records of baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials and other services (where appropriate)
- To support the work of the electoral roll officer
- To encourage, support and participate in the administrative business of the PCC including:
- Organising meetings
- Maintenance of accounts
- Inventory of furniture, fittings and artefacts
- Care of Church buildings
- To ensure that the statutory requirements of the law, the services and procedures approved by the Church in Wales are complied with in a shared and collaborative ministry.
Church and community
- To encourage good and courteous relationships with members of other Churches and Faith communities.
- To support the laity in their social, pastoral and money raising activities which further the mission of the Church in the local and wider community.
Local needs and opportunities will also apply such as:
- to enable and encourage Church members in developing their prayer life and worship
- to encourage church members to be ambassadors of Christ
- to strengthen links between the parish and local schools
- to develop strong links with community groups and encourage their involvement in worship and parish life.