God’s Earth is crying out for our care and if we do not urgently limit greenhouse gas emissions and the destruction of species we will permanently disfigure our common home preventing billions of God’s children from flourishing.
The Church in Wales recognises responsible stewardship of creation is integral to Christian discipleship and, given the urgency of the situation, commit to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions to zero as quickly as practically possible, embedding care for the natural world into all aspect of Church life from worship and teaching to the sustainable management of buildings, land, and financial resources.
The Energy Footprint Tool
The Energy Footprint Tool is one of the tools that we have developed to monitor our progress.
The attached instruction brief explains how to register and use the Energy Footprint Tool. The tool is easy-to-use, available to all Church in Wales churches and will assist us in reducing our impact on the climate.
Practical and scriptural approaches
- A rediscovery of our core calling to care for creation:
Our Christian Calling to Care for Creation (PDF)
- Very useful guidance has been prepared by Bangor Diocese about Eco Church to help local churches in Wales get involved:
Treading Lightly on Holy Ground. A short guide to Eco-Church (PDF)
- This really helpful and practical Eco Church booklet compiled by St Asaph Diocese can get you started on your Eco Church journey:
Caring for each other, caring for God's creation (PDF)
- The reflective Caring for Creation calendar, produced by St Davids Diocese, highlights key environmental themes through the liturgical year:
Caring for Creation through the Liturgical Year (PDF)
- Also, for inspiration, check out the wonderful eco-church stories and videos from St Asaph.
- The Church of England has prepared some brilliant webinars on topics related to net zero:
Webinars on getting to net zero carbon | The Church of England
- After the success of Climate Sunday, the dedicated Climate Sunday website remains active and still has some great resources:
Climate Sunday | Home | Worship | Commit | Speak Up
- There are some very useful products and services that can help you save energy and money at Parish Buying:
Parish Buying - Parish Buying - Buy together Save Together
- Resources to support children and young people:
- Christian Aid offers a wealth of resources on the impacts of climate change in our world:
Resilience and climate - Christian Aid
If you have any suggestion or feedback that you would like to share regarding the Church in Wales’ Net Zero Carbon please use this feedback form to make a submission. We would welcome any suggestion.