From lunch clubs at schools to barbecues at housing estates – new ways of doing church will be highlighted at a key meeting next week.
Examples of how churches across Wales are reaching out and taking the Christian message to those around them will be seen in a film at the meeting of the Church’s Governing Body which takes places on September 12-13 at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David.
The film features six evangelism projects, one from each of the Church’s dioceses, and will form part of a report on evangelism and church growth.
The projects featured are:
- The Lounge – a lunchclub at Cefn Saeson secondary school, Neath;
- Sanctuary – pioneer ministry on housing estates and to the farming community around Llanidloes;
- Reminiscing cafe – events for people with dementia in Newtown;
- Puppetry – entertainment with a Christian message for children in and around Lampeter;
- Food With Friends – community meals and events in Gorseinion;
- Inclusive church – promoting an open and welcoming church at Rumney, Cardiff
The film will be introduced by the Bishop of Bangor, Andy John, on Thursday morning (September 13). He says, “We want to show the amazing work which churches all over the country are doing to take Christ’s message of love out to the communities around them. They are not stories we hear about in the news and neither are they reflected in our membership statistics. But they speak powerfully of lively and enthusiastic people, inspired by the love of God and a ‘can do’ approach that is making a difference and changing lives.”
Other items on the agenda at the Governing Body meeting include:
- The Presidential Address by the Archbishop of Wales, John Davies;
- An address by and discusison with the Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church about that church’s process for dealing with same-gender relationships, including marriages;
- An update on plans to mark the Centenary, in 2020, of the disestablishment of the Church in Wales;
- A briefing on the Anglican Methodist Covenant from the Revd Gareth Powell, Secretary of the Methodist Conference of England and Wales;
- Launch of a new liturgical resource ‘Times And Seasons’.
Faith in Evangelism Film