The Society was founded in Chichester in 1914 within the lively Anglo-Catholic parish of St. George, Wyke. Under the wise guidance of the Rector, the Revd Dr Glover, a disciplined life of prayer and study was encouraged among parishioners. From these beginnings a limited form of community was lived and four women resolved to leave homes and employment to found a House of Prayer. This they did at Tymawr in 1923.
Warmly welcomed by the Bishop of Monmouth shortly after the disestablishment of the Church in Wales, the Society has received constant and caring support from the Diocese and the Province
The Rule and Constitution of the Society was formulated under the guidance of Fr. G Northcott of the Community of the Resurrection, and we became a recognised contemplative community in 1932.
The ownership and custody of the land (65 acres) was given to the community
in 1998 when the original deeds were handed over from the Trust in which they
were held. Most of the farmland is rented as grass keep to a local farmer.
conservation work has been done: the Victorian Fish Pond was recovered; a small
wood planted and 1000 trees for coppicing are flourishing; and work continues
Michaelgarth was built by Fr. Amos, the first chaplain, in 1929, and given to the Community for a guest house in 1958. A new Chaplainís Lodge was built in 1964: the use of this house is now under consideration.
The 1970s saw a new development, with the welcome "Alongsiders" and in the 1980s we were able to undertake a limited number of theme retreats at Michaelgarth and also some individually guided retreats.
In 1996-7 a 'Listening Year' enabled Sisters, Oblates, Companions, Associates and Alongsiders to look together towards the future. Understanding of the Society as a whole was deepened and it was and continues to be a blessed and encouraging experience for all of us.
The Bishop of Monmouth, the Rt. Revd. Dominic Walker OGS, is the Visitor of the Society. The Warden is Canon Donald Allchin.
Today, the Society consists of 10 professed Sisters, one novice, with Alongsiders coming and going (and perhaps some to stay). There is a large group of oblates and associates (men and women); with two small companion groups for mutual support and encouragement.
Enquiries may be made to the Reverend Mother.
The Society of the Sacred Cross
Telephone: 01600 860244 / 860808
The Society of the Sacred Cross is a registered charity, No: 1047614
Anglican Religious Communities