Bishops of Monmouth
Eryl Stephen Thomas became Bishop of Monmouth in 1968. He was a former Vicar of Risca and he had been Dean of Llandaff since 1954. There was no clear diocesan policy on Church Schools and the new town of Cwmbran had 'just growed' without any ecclesiastical organisation. Bishop Thomas set out to remedy both those problems. A rectorial benefice was set up in Cwmbran to deal with ministry in the new town in April 1971, and decisions were made about the building of voluntary Aided Church Schools in the diocese. The compulsory retirement of clergy at the age of seventy stimulated new thinking on clerical training. To offset a manpower shortage womanpower was invoked in the shape of stipendiary deaconesses and a diocesan training scheme was initiated for non-stipendiary clerics.
The Golden Jubilee of the diocese was celebrated in great style in 1971 with rallies and festivals; conferences and exhibitions and a school for laypeople as well as the Clergy School at St Edmund Hall, Oxford, a great success and the first of many. Bishop Thomas was translated to Llandaff in 1971.