Bishops of Monmouth
Charles Alfred Howell Green was elected Bishop of Monmouth in 1921. He was the right man for the job. Ecclesiastical law and administration came easily to him and he not only set up the new diocese on firm foundations with its appropriate legal officers and diocesan conference, but he also placed the Church in Wales in his debt by the part that he took in the establishment of its Constitution.
Bishop Green's first concern was for the provision of more churches and pastoral care in the industrial areas of the diocese, since the balance of population had shifted so heavily in that direction in the second half of the nineteenth century.
Green created thirteen new parishes in the area that became the Archdeaconry of Newport in 1930, and he reorganised the rural deaneries to allow for the shift in emphasis from rural to industrial in the diocese. Even so, there were still six rural deaneries in what became the Archdeaconry of Monmouth. They were, Abergavenny, Chepstow, Monmouth, Netherwent, Raglan and Usk. The Archdeaconry of Newport in 1930 comprised the rural deaneries of Newport, Bassaleg, Pontypool, Bedwellty and Blaenau Gwent, and so it has remained. The Monmouth archdeaconry now consists of only four rural deaneries. Chepstow has been absorbed in Netherwent again and Raglan and Usk are grouped in one deanery.