Representative Body Membership: Background Information
The Representative Body’s membership consists of:
- The Chairman of the Diocesan Board of Finance of each diocese;
- The Chairman of the Standing Committee of the Governing Body;
- The Archbishop;
- One cleric elected by the Diocesan Conference of each diocese;
- One lay person elected by the Diocesan Conference of each diocese;
- Up to four members nominated by the Bench of Bishops in consultation with the Standing Committee;
- Up to two members co-opted by the other members of the Representative Body.
Any cleric who holds or has held an ecclesiastical office in the Church in Wales or a licence from a Welsh Diocesan Bishop.
Any lay communicant over 18 and under 75 years of age who –
- either resides or has resided for a period of 12 months in a Church in Wales parish;
- Or has been a contributor to Church in Wales funds within 12 months of nomination for membership;
- Does not belong to a religious body which itself is not in communion with the Church in Wales.
Clergy or laity who are in the full-time salaried employment of the Representative Body, Diocesan Boards of Finance or any other provincial or diocesan body within the Church in Wales (or who have been in such employment during the last twelve months) are not eligible for membership of the RB.
Members serve for a three year period of election or co-option initially. It is anticipated that there will be three meetings of the Representative Body each year. In addition, members will generally be expected to sit on one of the RB’s committees (a further two to four meetings annually). Meetings are likely to be predominantly held in Cardiff, with some in Shrewsbury.
There are no formal requirements beyond the membership qualifications listed above but in view of the areas of the Representative Body’s work some expertise in one or more of the following would be a distinct advantage:
- Investments and banking;
- Audit and accountancy;
- Property (both residential and church buildings);
- Human resources.
Meals are provided at meetings where appropriate and reasonable travel expenses incurred in attending meetings are reimbursed.